Monday, September 19, 2005

When it rains...


Squeeze
Originally uploaded by AviatorDave.
In the midst of my own health problems, my mother had to check into the hospital today. She was feeling dizzy and weak last night, and her friend took her to the emergency room this morning. Mom suffers from COPD - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder, basically a deterioration of the lungs from a lifetime of smoking, and it limits her oxygen intake.

I spoke to her this afternoon - I had to track her down at the hospital, since the little dickens didn't call me. She is being monitored and tested, but sounds in good spirits, considering. For those of you who have been so supportive of me, please keep my mother in your thoughts as well. The picture here is from sometime around my first birthday in 1968 - and nothing has changed, really. She's a great mom, and I'm her one and only.

And hey, if I may make a suggestion: If you smoke, quit. If you don't smoke, don't start. I quit in 1993 with the help of a local wellness center, and my mother did when she was diagnosed, and we both may have been too late.

Smokefree.gov